26. Jan 2009: Information on racism in Italy by Rete Contro Il Pacchetto Sicurezza. On 31. Jan 2009 there will be a mass ralley in Roma against the so called 'pacchetto sicurezza' that introduces or ratifies appaling measures against migrants and refugees.
26. Jan 2009, LAMPEDUSA: 78 women transferred to the ex- NATO base Loran, that will be transformed in a 'centre of identification and expulsion'. 16 women 12 from Tunisia and four from Morocco are on hunger strike against their possible expulsion. In the centre there are also some women form Nigeria some of whom are seeking political asylum. (ANSA)
Minister Maroni in Tunisia today to negotiate accords of re-admission.
Tomorrow general strike by Lampeusa residents. Government attacks the Mayor who is 'leading'? the protest (he used to be a racist).
Tomorrow general strike of Lampedusa residents. Some 50 migrants who have not returned to the 'reception' centre are still sheltering on the island and the locals are feeding them. Solidarity restored after the Lega Nord's work of promoting racism on the island. (traditionally local people have always helped and fed the migrants, fishermen saving people from boat wrecks and so).
26. Jan 2009, MASSA (Marina di Massa, Tuscany): Police and carabinieri in riot geat attack a demonstration by refugees mainly from Somalia and Eritrea. Some refugees were injuried other forcibly taken by the cops to the Red Cross centre where they were staying. About 50 people, amongst whom many women, were protesting for delay in examining their request for recognition of political refugee and permit to stay. They occupied the centre of the town blocking the traffic and refused to move, asking to see a representative from Onu, and in the meantime decleared they are on hunger strike. Many of the refugees were part of a group of 104 persons arrived in August from Lampedusa
25. Jan 2009, ROME (Guidonia is a village in the outskirts of Rome): Following the vicious rape of a woman in Guidonia by a group of men, supposedly eastern Europeans, police went to search all 'illegal' camps where migrants from Romania and other homeless migrants are reduced to live in shacks.
The fascists from Forza Nuova organised a demonstration from which a group of about 20 fascists broke out to attack Eastern Europeans with sticks, clubs and banner pools . In one incident three Romanians were attacked, one other Romanian in another incident and five Albanians escaped but just being savagely beaten by sheltering in a pub behind a reinforced door with the owner of the pub. Two fascists were arrested.
31. Jan 2009, NATIONAL DEMONSTRATION IN ROME against the so called 'pacchetto sicurezza' that introduces or ratifies appaling measures against migrants and refugees. According to the new legistlation that is now being discussed in Parliament: entering the country or being found living there without documents becomes a law punishble by imprisonment; 'first reception centres' to become 'centres of identification and expulsion', and lenght of detention to be extended from 2 months to 18 months; renting accommodation to someone without papers becomes a crime (already in vigour); persons without papers are forbidden to send money home; everybody who goes to the hospital for treatement should be reported to Immigration if s/he has not got papers. (demo called by the migrants' orgainsations and social centres without the political parties trade unions etc.)
RETE CONTRO IL PACCHETTO SICUREZZA
info: pacchettosicurezza (at) anche.no